Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Scrolly Cookies


I have been browsing Pinterest lately, always on the hunt for pictures of cakes that I like and that I think I can make.  But something a little different has consistently caught my eye and I finally decided to look into it.  It was these beautifully decorated cookies, with a scroll like piped design.  It turns out that a designer in NY named "SweetAmbs" does these cookies.  They are absolutely beautiful and perfect.  So when the preschool year end teacher gift time came, I thought these cookies would make a great gift!  SweetAmbs offers online courses, so I took a few and before I knew it, I was making these perfectly beautiful cookies in my own kitchen.  I learned the "flooding" technique.....



...which is basically frosting a cookie perfectly, so that the icing is a consistent length from the edge around the entire cookie.  You can do this with any shape.  Next I learned "filagree" piping, making basic royal icing, and the differences in icing consistency.  She also offers lots of free instruction on her blog and facebook page.  I just love her stuff!  Makes me think about the possibilities in the market of wedding favors!  I would have LOVED these on my reception tables.







No comments:

Post a Comment