Monday, June 30, 2014

Pricing the Icing

Pricing is obviously an important factor becoming a "for profit" cake artist, you certainly don't want this "hobby" to put you under, so at the very minimum you have to make absolutely SURE your costs are covered, and this is always a figure that you can EASILLY underestimate.  I make a list of every single item I touched, while making the cake, tools, cake boards, brushes, bags, tips, etc., and of course all the edible stuff.  Then the "artist" factor needs to be accounted for, and that is a much more abstract thing to put a price on.  That is the big variable, which includes time, experience, ability, "wow factor" and the amount someone is willing to pay (market value).  Since I have an MBA under my belt, and worked for 15 years in big business, I am pretty comfortable with my ability to determine a price for one of my cakes.  But of course it is not rocket science, and most people SHOULD be able to come up with a reasonable price.  This blog post by Merci Beaucoup Cakes really helped me justify my thinking when coming up with cake pricing.  http://happysugarbakingland.typepad.com/happy-sugar-baking-land/2011/05/merci-beaucoup-shop-talk-pricing.html



No comments:

Post a Comment