Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day......Relaxation and Roses

A year to celebrate accomplishments, defeats, great days and bad, but most of all a day to celebrate being a mom.  My husband granted me with two whole days of no responsibility, which means the house will be a mess on Monday, but oh well.  My time is mine for now.  And what did I chose to do with it?  Make gum paste roses.  My latest obsession.



So after looking at some cakes on Pinterest (always pinning cakes that I "think" I can do,) I found myself watching a "how to" video on beautiful handmade roses.  Roses are so beautiful, I have grown them myself, studied their delicate growth pattern, and the density of their petals as they bloom to maturity.  A combination of gum paste and fondant is the perfect way to recreate a rose that will last longer than the natural kind.  (Until Gavin drops one on the floor and it shatters.)  I did realize that I will have to expand my tool supply, as my ball tool is "sub par", and I would like to have the ability to do bigger roses - the tools that I have only allow for what I call "medium size" roses.  During this exercise I learned some very helpful hints.  One - roll the fondant out as thin as possible, with out ripping.  Two - Smooth the edges after using the cutter.  Three - have cornstarch handy, use it on the mat as well as the petals itself when using the ball tool.  Four - use an individual petal cutter for the initial petal on the bud, and at the end when I am adding the last row of petals (shape these with a spoon.).  Francesca (the lady in the video) also suggested hot glueing the wire to the bulb (instead of using edible glue) - this definitely would be quicker, but it would have to be clear that the rose is no longer "food quality" - as superglue is not edible.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment